Laura's Adventures

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Hsin nien kuai le!

Happy Year of the Pig! (I know it's early but I probably won't be posting for a while.)

I know it's been a while; I'm sorry. Time is just flying by here! I made a countdown on my calendar; my contract is up in 293 days :P

I booked my ticket to Australia in April. I'm leaving Taiwan on April 4th and returning on April 16th. I'm really looking forward to it.

Chinese New Year is quickly approaching. We have the car booked, and four of us are going. We're not really sure exactly where we're going or where we'll be sleeping but we're going to buy a tent just in case we get stuck. It will be an adventure!!

On Sunday my company had a big year end banquet to celebrate the new year. It was in Taipei. Some parts were pretty boring (speeches, awards) but there were some performances that were pretty cool. There was this cool drum performance and some of the Chinese Dragons performed during it, too. Very cool. There was also a singer/guitarist who is blind and very talented. There was also a traditional Chinese orchestra. After the ceremony, we went to the dining rooms for dinner. That was interesting, too. I tried many new foods like shark fin soup, jellyfish, eel, amologna (probably spelled wrong but sounds like bologna so I spelled it similarly - it's a type of large clam) and lots of other interesting foods. most of it was yummy. There was also lots of free wine which made for an interesting night :) They ran out of wine just before dessert but after it was over, people cleared out pretty quickly and we went around collecting the half finished bottles from other tables. Waste not, want not. :) We were feeling pretty good after that! haha. Then we went to a little outdoor bar to grab some beer. There wasn't a washroom but there was one in a parkade not too far away. Problem was, there was only a men's washroom!! Someone had taken a pen and drawn a skirt on the sign as well, though haha. There were two urinals and a stall with a regular, western toilet. So, it was my first time using a men's washroom. Hey, that much wine has to come out one way or another!! We didn't stay out too late and shared cabs home. I was in bed by 1 and woke up around 7:30. All in all it was a great night haha. I have pictures on http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q87/lauraohearn/

Here's a creepy story:
When we were at the bus station in Keelung waiting for everyone, this woman came up to me. She had a baby strapped to her front and was smoking (practically in the baby's face) and chewing betelnut. She said "Hello" and then proceeded to talk in Chinese. Now, I'm taking Chinese lessons but I can't understand a whole lot yet. Luckily everyone else there spoke Chinese and English so they could translate. She asked me how old I am and kept saying that I'm very beautiful and how beautiful foreigners are. She asked me if I'm married or have children. Then she made me hold her baby's hand. It was almost as if I were a celebrity or something and she wanted to be able to tell her baby later on that she had met me when she was very young. It was pretty creepy.

Well, that's all that's new on this end. I probably won't write again until after Chinese New Year. So, Happy Year of the Pig! and, Happy Valentine's Day!!

play safe and have fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home